attock city train bridge


Attock, formerly known as Campbellpur, is a historical city located in the north of Pakistan’s Punjab province, about 80 km from the capital city, Islamabad. The city was initially founded in 1908 several miles east of the older city of Attock Khurd, which had been established by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in the 16th century and was initially named in honor of Sir Colin Campbell. The name was changed to Attock in 1978 which literally means “the Foot of the mountain.”

The early history of Attock city goes back to Alexander the Great, who came to the region in 327 BC and built a ship in Karachi’s region for traveling purposes. Before Alexander, the region was ruled by different people, including Malavas, Kambojas, Yaudheyas, Kurus, Pauravas, Daradas, and Madras.
After the decline of the Achaemenid empire, Rajpoot’s took hold of the region around the 7th century. After their demise, Sultan Mehmood Ghaznavi came to the region and defeated the Hindu Shahis in 1005.
The city is famous for its ancient history and development during the Mughal empire. Emperor Akbar built the great Attock fort in 1581 after recognizing the importance of the region. After the decline of the Mughal Empire, the Sikhs and Ahmad Shah Durrani came into conflict over the territory of Attock. 
The British came to power after the decline of the Mughal empire and established Campbellpur, named after Sir Colin Campbell, who was British commander in chief at the time. The region was further developed during the British raj as a railway line, and a bridge on the Indus River was constructed for public use.


Moving on from its history to its language, the Attock district contains a majority of Punjabi-speaking individuals. Punjabi is spoken by 90 percent of the population while Pushto and Urdu round out the remaining 10 percent.

Climate of Attock City

old image of attock city

Attock has a dry and hot climate with temperatures ranging from 27 degrees to 35 degrees on average. The hottest temperature recorded in Attock is 45 degrees. The season of winter is dry and cold, and the lowest recorded temperature of the region is 3 degrees.
Attock is ranked 3rd out of 146 districts in the country in terms of the quality of education. For infrastructure and facilities, it is ranked 17th out of 146 districts. 
Some of the notable educational institutions in the Attock district are:

  • Comsats Institute of Information Technology
  • Cadet College Hassan Abdal
  • Cadet College Fateh Jang
  • Fazaia Degree College 

Moving on, Attock is home to some famous places and landmarks due to its rich history.

Famous Places of Attock City

attock city fort

Attock Bridge – It is situated between Attock Khurd and Khairabad Kund on the Indus River. Being one of the most important crossings between Punjab and KPK, it was heavily fortified. The bridge was part of GT road. It is still in use for railway traffic.

Kala Chitta Range – Kala Chitta range is a mountain range in the Attock district. The range moves eastwards across the Potohar plateau towards Rawalpindi. 

Gurdwara Sri Panja Sahib – It is a famous Gurdwara located near Attock in Hasan Abdal. The shrine is of particular importance as the handprint of the founder of Sikhism, Guru Nanak, is believed to be imprinted on a boulder in the gurdwara.

Aqua Fun Resort – An amusement park with a variety of rides and water sports on offer for children and adults. A great place to hang back and relax. 

Attock City Fort – Attock Fort was built at Attock Khurd by Akbar in 1581. If you like natural beauty, then this place is a must-visit. Maybe plan a picnic with your family and have a fun time marveling at the beauty that this fort has to offer. 

Attock City railway station – Constructed in 1880, the Attock Khurd railway station has a rich history and beautiful architecture. It is located on the bank of the Indus River and the Victorian structure made of stone masonry is surrounded by the Manglot Mountain range.


The rich history of Attock city combined with the modern-day lifestyle makes it one of the most desirable locations in the region. We at 5G Group of Companies are working hard to bring you an experience like no other. Keep your eye out as we have something big coming up.
This development project will transform the region and redefine the meaning of modern-day smart living. Stay tuned for more updates. 

Tags: No tags

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *